Zoom is a video conferencing app that is free and supports up to 100 people on the same call. All you need is a computer, a microphone and a webcam (most modern computers have this built-in). You can also download the Zoom app on your phone/tablet if you prefer to do it that way. We are currently using Zoom for Prayer Meetings and Growth Groups during the Coronavirus outbreak.
Join a Zoom Meeting
Note, you do not need to sign up for a Zoom account when joining a meeting.
Instructions when using a Computer
- The person hosting the meeting should share a link with you via email, WhatsApp, etc. Click the link on the Zoom invite to join a meeting. The link will look something like https://zoom.us/j/123456789.
- If you haven’t used Zoom before, an application installer will automatically download. Run the installer to install the Zoom app on your computer.
- The Zoom app should run automatically once installed. If prompted, join the meeting using computer audio and video.
Instructions when using a Mobile/Tablet
- Make sure you have downloaded the Zoom app from the App Store (iOS) or Google Play Store (Android).
- The person hosting the meeting should share a link with you via email, WhatsApp, etc. To join the meeting either:
- Click the link on the Zoom invite to join a meeting. The link will look something like https://zoom.us/j/123456789.
- Open the Zoom app and tap “Join a meeting”. Enter the Meeting ID (note the number part of the link “123456789” is known as the Meeting ID).
For more information on joining a meeting in Zoom see this article.
Mute/Un-mute in Zoom
During a Zoom meeting, it’s good practice to mute yourself when you are not speaking. This prevents excessive background noise and poor audio quality. This is especially noticeable in large meetings.
Use the meeting controls at the bottom of the screen in the Zoom app to control your audio and video.
See this article for more info.
Host a Zoom Meeting
Use these instructions to host a Zoom meeting via your computer:
- Go to https://zoom.us/ and click the “Sign up, it’s free” button in the top right corner.
- Follow the steps to create your free account.
- Once your account is created, go to https://zoom.us/download and download the “Zoom Client for Meetings”.
- Once installed, open the Zoom app and sign in.
- To start a meeting immediately:
- Click “New Meeting”. Once the meeting window opens click “Invite” in the bottom toolbar. In the window that appears click “Copy URL”.
- You can now paste this URL in an email, WhatsApp message, etc. to invite other people to your meeting.
- To schedule a meeting:
- Click “Schedule”. In the window that appears, pick a date and time. Meeting ID should be set to “Generate Automatically”. Everything else can be left as default settings.
- Click “Schedule”. A calendar application might open. It is not required that you add an event to your calendar. Feel free to close the calendar application.
- Back in the Zoom application, navigate to the Meetings tab. Select your scheduled meeting in the sidebar and click the “Copy Invitation” button.
- You can now paste the invitation in an email, WhatsApp message, etc. to invite other people to your meeting.